We have just released a brand new version of Terria — verson 8!
We've put together a list of things we've removed from version 8 and some steps to help you migrate to the new version in our migration guide
Not ready to move to version 8 yet? You can find terriajs version 7 here: https://github.com/TerriaJS/terriajs/tree/terriajs7
- Nested catalog of layers which can be independently enabled to create mashups of many layers.
- Supports GeoJSON, KML, CSV (point and region-mapped), GPX, GeoRSS, CZML and zipped shapefile file types natively.
- Supports WMS, WFS, WMTS, Esri MapServer, Esri FeatureServer, Bing Maps, Carto Maps, Cesium Ion Imagery, OpenStreetMap-style raster tiles, Mapbox, SDMX, 3D Tiles and GTFS and Sensor Observation Service item types.
- Supports querying WMS, WFS, Esri MapServer, CSW, CKAN, Socrata, OpenDataSoft and SDMX services for groups of items.
- 3D globe (Cesium) or 2D mode (Leaflet). 3D objects supported in CZML format.
- Time dimensions supported for CSV, CZML, WMS. Automatically animate layers, or slide the time control forward and backward.
- Drag-and-drop files from your desktop to the browser, for instant visualisation (no file upload to server required).
- All ASGS (Australian Statistical Geographic Standard) region types (LGA, SA2, commonwealth electoral district etc) supported for CSV region mapping, plus several others: Primary Health Networks, Statistical Local Areas, ISO 3 letter country codes, etc.
- Users can generate a reusable URL link of their current map view, to quickly share mashups of web-hosted data.
- The interface is internationalised and translations are available for French, Italian and Japanese. Partial translations have also been contributed for other languages (see TerriaJS weblate)
Who's using TerriaJS?
Sites developed by Data61
- National Map
- NSW Spatial Digital Twin
- Digital Earth Australia Map
- Digital Earth Africa Map
- NEII Viewer
- GeoGLAM Rangeland and Pasture Productivity
Sites we're aware of that are using TerriaJS. These are not endorsements or testimonials.
- NodeJS v14 or v16 are supported
- Supports modern browsers (recent versions of Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome).
- TerriaJS Server component runs in NodeJS and provides proxying for web services that don't support CORS or require authentication. Instead of using TerriaJS-Sever proxy service, an alternative proxying service URL can be specified. See Specify an alternative proxy server URL
- Dependencies are managed in NPM and assembled using WebPack.
The easiest way to build your own Terria-based map is using the TerriaMap starting point. This gives you the HTML structure, server and build processes you need to get a site up and running immediately.
Components and naming
- Terria™ is the overall name for the spatial data platform and the team that built TerriaJS.
- Cesium is the 3D WebGL rendering library used by TerriaJS, which provides many low-level functions for loading and displaying imagery and spatial formats such as GeoJSON and KML.
- TerriaMap is a complete website starting point, using TerriaJS.
- TerriaJS-Server is a NodeJS-based server that provides proxying and support services for TerriaJS.
- NationalMap is the flagship Terria deployment, and the origin of the TerriaJS library.
- TerriaMapStatic, a pre-built version of TerriaMap, which can be deployed as a static HTML website, such as on Github Pages.
Hosting and contribution framework for community translations of TerriaJS provided by Weblate under the Libre plan for open source software. See our translation progress for different languages:
Join the community
Get in touch!