© 2017, Onur Yıldırım (@onury)
MIT License. Please see the Disclaimer and License.
Geolocator.js is a utility for getting geo-location information, geocoding, address look-ups, distance & durations, timezone information and more...
- HTML5 geolocation (by user permission) with improved accuracy.
- Location by IP
- Reverse Geocoding (address lookup)
- Full address information (street, town, neighborhood, region, country, country code, postal code, etc...)
- Fallback mechanism (from HTML5-geolocation to Geo-IP lookup)
- Watch geographic position
- Locate by mobile information
- Get timezone information
- Get distance matrix and duration information
- Calculate distance between two geographic points
- Various geographic conversion utilities
- Get client IP
- Fetched location includes country flag image (SVG) URL
- Language support (depends on the service provider)
- Supports Google Loader (loads Google APIs dynamically)
- Dynamically create Google Maps, on demand (with marker, info window, auto-adjusted zoom)
- NEW: Get static Google Map (image) URL for a location
- Non-blocking script loading (external sources are loaded on the fly without interrupting page load)
- No library/framework dependencies (such as jQuery, etc...)
- Universal module (CommonJS/AMD..)
- Small file size (9KB minified, gzipped)
- Browser Support: IE 9+, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera...
See a Live Demo.
Link or download via CDNJS.
Download full source code from GitHub releases.
Install via Bower:
Install via NPM:
Example below, will attempt to get user's geo-location via HTML5 Geolocation and if user rejects, it will fallback to IP based geo-location.
<head> of your HTML:
If you've enabled
map option; include the following, inside the
<body> of your HTML:
Read API documentation for lots of other features and examples.
- Since Geolocation API is an HTML5 feature, make sure your
doctype is HTML5 (e.g.
- Make sure you're calling Geolocation APIs (such as
geolocator.watch()) from a secure origin (i.e. an HTTPS page). In Chrome 50, Geolocation API is removed from unsecured origins. Other browsers are expected to follow.
- Although some calls might work without a key, it is generally required by most Google APIs (such as Time Zone API). To get a free (or premium) key, click here. After getting a key, you can enable multiple APIs for it. Make sure you enable all the APIs supported by Geolocator. (If you don't have a key, you can still use Geolocator like the previous versions, but with limited features.)
- Geolocator now supports a single Geo-IP provider, FreeGeoIP. You can use
geolcoator.setGeoIPSource() method to set a different Geo-IP source.
On Firefox, callback is not fired for Geolocation, if user clicks "Not Now" instead of "Never". This is now fixed in Firefox version 53 with the new permission prompt redesign. (See bugzilla 675533.)
Under the Hood
Geolocator v2 is written in ES2015 (ES6), compiled with Babel, bundled with Webpack and documented with Docma.
See version changes here.
MIT. See the Disclaimer and License.