Node CLI to quickly open git-bash (or file explorer) in another folder.
Note: This could have some bugs in linux & mac. I have no way of testing/developing on these platforms. If you want to help/encounter a bug, please file an issue at github and I'll see what I can do.
$ npm install -g bash-jump
Features & other related ramblings
- Brute force recursive search 💪
- Case insensitive, typo sensitive.
- Folder to search must exist or (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
- Default search start is current folder, or if
BASH_JUMPenv variable is set, the folder set in env variable, or the second argument.
- To set env variabe:
$ export BASH_JUMP=G:\\MyFolderfor example to start default search from 'G:\MyFolder'-folder.
- To remove it:
$ unset BASH_JUMP.
- On find, runs
bash --login, so needs to have git bash installed to work.
- If folder to search is just a dot ('.'), opens new shell in current folder.
- The 'child program' can't close the parent shell it is running from, so there's no option for that. If you want to close the current shell after search, just add
&& exitto the end. But be careful with your search, this will close the current shell wether the program opens a new one or not.
$ bj -h Usage: bj [options] <folderToFind> [startSearchFrom] Options: -V, --version output the version number -B, --no-bash find folder and path, do not open bash -e, --explorer find folder and path and open file explorer -h, --help output usage information
To search for myProject folder starting from current (or env variable if set) folder and open new shell is simple:
$ bj myProject
To search for myApplication folder in program files without opening new shell, but opening file explorer:
$ bj -Be myApplication "C:\\Program Files"
To open new shell for the current folder just use a dot for the folder to search:
$ bj .
Node_modules & .git folders excluded from search to keep it fast.
All folders included in search:
After excluding node_modules & .git: