Git made easy
The easiest way to use git. On any platform. Anywhere.
- Clean and intuitive UI that makes it easy to understand git.
- Runs on any platform that node.js & git supports.
- Web-based, meaning you can run it on your cloud/pure shell machine and use the ui from your browser (just browse to http://your-cloud-machine.com:8448).
- Works well with GitHub.
- Gerrit integration through plugin: https://github.com/FredrikNoren/ungit-gerrit
Quick intro to ungit: http://youtu.be/hkBVAi3oKvo
npm install -g ungit
NOTE: If your system requires root access to install global npm packages, make sure you use the -H flag:
sudo -H npm install -g ungit
Anywhere you want to start, just type:
This will launch the server and open up a browser with the ui.
Put a configuration file called .ungitrc in your home directory (
/home/USERNAME on *nix,
C:/Users/USERNAME/ on windows). Can be in either json or ini format. See source/config.js for available options.
You can also override configuration variables at launch by specifying them as command line arguments;
ungit --port=8080. To disable boolean features use --no:
~/.ungitrc configuration file to change default port and enable bugtracking:
Plugins are installed by simply placing them in the Ungit plugin directory (
~/.ungit/plugins by default), and then restarting Ungit.
There's a guide in the PLUGINS.md file on how to write new plugins.
- If you're running MacOSX Mavericks and Ungit crashes after a few seconds; try updating npm and node. See #259 and #249 for details.
- Ubuntu users may have trouble installing because the node executable is named differently on Ubuntu, see #401 for details.
- Debian Wheezy's supported git and nodejs packages are too old, therefore download newest git and nodejs tarballs and build from source.
Copyright (C) 2013-2014 Fredrik Norén
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.