A full featured and free API Gateway in Node JS
Why do I need an API Gateway?
An API gateway provides a single, unified entry point across one or more internal APIs. It is an important element in any microservice architecture.
Why Tree Gateway?
Tree Gateway is a free and open source solution writen in Node JS that has a complete and customizable pipeline to handle your requests.
- Authentication: More than 300 strategies available through an easy passportjs integration, including support to JWT tokens, Oauth, Basic and many others.
- A flexible and robust Routing system that allows any kind of customized request pipeline.
- Rate limits - To control quotas for your customers and to define actions to be taken when any quota is exceeded.
- Caching system - Allow you to easily inject and control caching behavior for your APIs. Tree Gateway provides two kinds of cache:
- At browser level - Intercepting the responses and controling how the HTTP cache headers are used.
- At a server level - Caching responses for your APIs in memory (using the redis database).
- Easy Service Discovery, using your preffered registry.
- Integrated CircuitBreaker - A fast circuitbreaker to fast fail your responses when your API is having problems to work. It support custom handlers for events like "open" or "close" circuit.
- Real Time Monitoring and Analytics -
- Collect statistics about any access to your APIs. Capture any event, like a cache hit on a cache entrance, a circuitbreaker open circuit or an authentication attempt.
- Use an existing monitor (or define your own monitor) to capture periodic information about the server or about your APIs. Ex: CPU monitor, MEM Monitor etc.
- A very flexible and powerfull log system, that can be integrated with any service like logstash, loggly or new relic.
- Easy Administration - The gateway can be configured remotelly. And no restart is needed. Any API configuration can be "hot" changed and all configurations are propagated to other tree-gateway cluster nodes with no pain. The gateway can be configured through:
- Admin API - A REST API that can be invoked through HTTP;
- SDK - A Node JS SDK that can be used to configure the Gateway (or a cluster of gateways) programmatically;
- CLI - A command line tool can be used to configure using shell commands or scripts.
- Focused on Performance and High Availability - Turn easy the creation of big clusters.
- Support clusters of redis to share configurations, circuitbreaker states, cached content and so on.
- Automatically propagate events to all cluster nodes.
- Auto discovery for cluster nodes.
- Very low resources footprint.
Watch the Quickstart video
Try Tree Gateway
Take a better look into Tree Gateway by checking out the project and working with it guided by our Docs.