To create a grab and go WYSIWYG editing experience that can hook into Ruby on Rails ActionText backend. Currently this package does so using TipTap but will most likely include another integration for ProseMirror to allow for both Markdown + WYSIWYG editing.
Note: This package is still in beta and is currently not recommended for production use until a 1.0 is released.
This section is for contributing to Rhino Editor.
Getting up and running locally is hopefully quite painless. We have a test suite using Ruby on Rails and is intended to provide a good demonstration of how this package can hook into ActionText.
- Ruby 3.1.2
- Rails 7.0.4
- PNPM (
npm install -g pnpm)
- Node >= 16
- Docker (Used to run a simulated S3 server)
- Overmind (Preferred, not needed)
Run the following commands in the bash to setup dependencies:
git clone https://github.com/konnorrogers/rhino-editor cd rhino-editor pnpm run setup
Running the server
The easiest way to run the server is using Overmind
overmind start -f Procfile.dev
Then navigate to
To run the server without overmind do the following in seperate terminals:
bin/vite dev --clobber bin/rails s docker compose up --build
Then navigate to
Running the test suite
Make sure to have the docker server up and running, the test suite will fail without it.
docker compose up --build bundle exec rails test:all
Listening for changes to the package
To listen for changes, keep your rails server running and open a new terminal with the following:
pnpm run start
This will start an ESBuild watcher process. Vite in Rails will automatically pick up changes.
Adding a changelog entry
To add a changelog entry, we use https://github.com/changesets/changesets. Run the following command and then answer the prompts:
Roadmap to v1
- [ ] - Collaboration Extension. Support collaboration!
- [ ] - Document slots, CSS properties, Extending ActionText, and show common demo examples
- [ ] - Create a ProseMirror base for a markdown + rich text editor
- [ ] - Move the TipTap editor to extend the ProseMirror editor.
- [ ] - Show how to do table editing
- [ ] - Show how to do embeds
- [ ] - Show how to do mentions
- [ ] - Add testing for the basic operations bold, strike, etc.
- [ ] - Add testing for ActionText / Trix compatibility.