Automated dependency updates. Multi-platform and multi-language.
Why Use Renovate?
- Receive automated Pull Requests whenever dependencies need updating.
- Define schedules to avoid unnecessary noise in projects (e.g. for weekends or outside of working hours, or weekly updates, etc)
- Relevant package files are discovered automatically (e.g. supports monorepo architecture such as lerna or yarn workspaces without further configuration)
- Bot behaviour is extremely customisable via configuration files (config as code)
- Use eslint-like shared config presets for ease of use and simplifying configuration
- Lock files are natively supported and updated in the same commit, including immediately resolving conflicts whenever PRs are merged
- Supports GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket Cloud (beta release) and Azure DevOps.
- Open source (installable via npm/yarn or Docker Hub) so can be self-hosted or used via GitHub App
Who Uses Renovate?
Renovate was released in 2017 and already is widely used in the developer community, including:
The Renovate Approach
- We believe everyone can benefit from automation, whether it's a little or a lot
- Renovate should not cause you to change your workflow against your wishes, instead it should be adaptable to your existing workflow
- All behaviour should be configurable, down to a ridiculous level if necessary
- Autodetect settings wherever possible (to minimise configuration) but always allow overrides
The easiest way to use Renovate if you are hosted on GitHub.com or GitLab.com is to install the hosted Renovate app.
For GitLab, log into renovatebot.com/dashboard for a convenient way to add Renovate Bot to your project. Currently the GitLab app is free for both pubic and private repositories. More details on the GitLab App installation.
Visit https://renovatebot.com/docs/ for documentation, and in particular https://renovatebot.com/docs/configuration-options/ for a list of configuration options.
You can also raise an issue in https://github.com/renovatebot/config-help if you'd like to get your config reviewed or ask any questions.
If you are not on github.com or gitlab.com, or you prefer to run your own instance of Renovate then you have several options:
- Install the
renovateCLI tool from npmjs, run it on a schedule (e.g. using cron)
- Run the
renovate/renovateDocker Hub image (same content/versions as the CLI tool), run it on a schedule
- Use Renovate Pro Edition available for GitHub Enterprise and GitLab, includes native scheduler
If you would like to contribute to Renovate or get a local copy running for some other reason, please see the instructions in contributing.md.
Security / Disclosure
If you discover any important bug with Renovate that may pose a security problem, please disclose it confidentially to email@example.com first, so that it can be assessed and hopefully fixed prior to being exploited. Please do not raise GitHub issues for security-related doubts or problems.