npm install --save readable-stream
This package is a mirror of the streams implementations in Node.js.
Full documentation may be found on the Node.js website.
If you want to guarantee a stable streams base, regardless of what version of Node you, or the users of your libraries are using, use readable-stream only and avoid the "stream" module in Node-core, for background see this blogpost.
As of version 2.0.0 readable-stream uses semantic versioning.
readable-stream is a cut from Node 10. This version supports Node 6, 8, and 10, as well as evergreen browsers, IE 11 and latest Safari. The breaking changes introduced by v3 are composed by the combined breaking changes in Node v9 and Node v10, as follows:
- Error codes: https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/13310, https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/13291, https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/16589, https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/15042, https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/15665, https://github.com/nodejs/readable-stream/pull/344
- 'readable' have precedence over flowing https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/18994
- make virtual methods errors consistent https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/18813
- updated streams error handling https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/18438
- writable.end should return this. https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/18780
- readable continues to read when push('') https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/18211
- add custom inspect to BufferList https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/17907
- always defer 'readable' with nextTick https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/17979
readable-stream is a cut of the stream module from Node 8 (there have been no semver-major changes from Node 4 to 8). This version supports all Node.js versions from 0.8, as well as evergreen browsers and IE 10 & 11.
Cross-browser Testing Platform and Open Source <3 Provided by Sauce Labs
You can swap your
without any changes, if you are just using one of the main classes and
require('stream') will return
require('readable-stream') will return
Readable. We discourage using
whatever is exported directly, but rather use one of the properties as
shown in the example above.
Streams Working Group
readable-stream is maintained by the Streams Working Group, which
oversees the development and maintenance of the Streams API within
Node.js. The responsibilities of the Streams Working Group include:
- Addressing stream issues on the Node.js issue tracker.
- Authoring and editing stream documentation within the Node.js project.
- Reviewing changes to stream subclasses within the Node.js project.
- Redirecting changes to streams from the Node.js project to this project.
- Assisting in the implementation of stream providers within Node.js.
- Recommending versions of
readable-streamto be included in Node.js.
- Messaging about the future of streams to give the community advance notice of changes.
- Calvin Metcalf (@calvinmetcalf) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Release GPG key: F3EF5F62A87FC27A22E643F714CE4FF5015AA242
- Mathias Buus (@mafintosh) <email@example.com>
- Matteo Collina (@mcollina) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Release GPG key: 3ABC01543F22DD2239285CDD818674489FBC127E
- Irina Shestak (@lrlna) <email@example.com>
- Yoshua Wyuts (@yoshuawuyts) <firstname.lastname@example.org>