p2p off-the-record chat for nodejs
OTRTALK is a command line based chat application. Unlike most instant messenger applications it doesn't rely on centralised servers. Instead it utilises a DHT (Distributed Hash Table) similar to BitTorrent, called telehash.
There is also experimental support for discovery of buddies over mainline BitTorrent DHT network. Other discovery protocols will be added in future, with more focus towards privacy preserving protocols.
npm -g install otrtalk
Use sudo if necessary:
sudo npm -g install otrtalk
Read the Tutorial to get started.
otrtalk is built using three main components:
- TeleHash: DHT a real-time and fully distributed p2p application/services discovery protocol.
- ENet: a robust network communication layer on top of UDP.
- OTR: off-the-record messaging (encryption, authentication, forward secrecy)
Using the TeleHash protocol we locate a peer which is also actively trying to connect to us. TeleHash attempts to traverse NATs, opening a path to our peer. A reliable UDP connection is then established using the ENet protocol. An OTR conversation is then started to securely exchanged messages.
otrtalk currently only supports synchronous two-party messaging, (both parties must be online at the same time to exchange messages).
- otrtalk does NOT anonymise your connection with the remote party in any way.
- otrtalk uses the OTR protocol to offer end to end encryption, authentication and forward secrecy.
- chat messages are exchanged directly between the peers.
- chat messages are not relayed through or stored on any servers.