A prelaunch sign up app, written in node.js, powered by MongoDB & Mailgun.
Live Demo: node-prelaunch.herokuapp.com
Responsive transactional HTML email templates from mailgun/transactional-email-templates
Icon from sketchappsources.com.
HTML/CSS mostly from twbs/bootstrap cover template.
/server/config/secrets.js with the following credentials:
- Mailgun for sending sign up confirmations and validating email addresses
- google analytics id
Make sure mongodb is running (
mongod) then start the node server
Prelaunch Sign Up Flow
- A user signs up on the site
- a confirmation email is sent - image
- the user receives the email and clicks the confirmation link
- the user is redirected to the site with a unique token and confirmation id
- if the token and id are valid, the user model is updated and a thank you email is sent - image
Sending Post Launch Emails
Need to send an update? An example of querying confirmed users and sending emails in batches can be found in server/email/batch-demo.js. This uses Mailgun's batch sending feature.
To send the following campaign update template, run the following command. PLEAE NOTE: there is no dry run version of this yet, this command will send out emails to any confirmed users in your user collection.
The campaign update email uses the email alert template
If you're interested in contributing, please refer to the following project goals before submitting a pr or github issue.
- keep this as a starting point people can fork, redeploy, and persist their database while their app is built out
- make it easy to send email & track changes in email templates since they are checked into codebase
- be responsible for user data in database (not in some third party service), this also includes
- tracking sign up dates
- securing confirmations
- keeping track of confirmations
- use transactional email provider - ex: Mailgun
- avoid creating something that can spam people and ruin email sending reputation for the owner
- use double opt in
- sending batch emails (max 1000 at a time) - ex: Mailgun
- post launch sending capabilities and integration (ex: send password reset codes when app is launched)
- add flag to batch command for sending in testmode
- use tags to track transactional emails (