# Gulp + Less + Jade skeleton
This is a skeleton to build static websties using Jade and Less, plus a live-reload webserver for faster development. It uses:
- Gulp to automate build tasks, plus Gulp Connect to provide a local server with live reload .
- Jade template engine to streamline html writing.
- Less, to modularize and minimize the CSS written.
Extra things to make your website faster:
- CSS minification: both CSS and LESS files are automatically minified.
- HTML minification: the output of Jade files is minified.
Issues and/or questions
Please open a thread in https://github.com/OscarDCorbalan/gulp-less-jade-skeleton/issues
- Clone locally or download this repo, e.g.:
* `git clone https://github.com/OscarDCorbalan/gulp-less-jade-skeleton.git`
- Install (if you don't have them):
* [Node.js](http://nodejs.org): Just download v6 and install. Alternatively, if you're on OS X, you can do `brew install node` . * [Gulp](http://gulpjs.com): In a shell console type `npm install -g gulp`. * Gulp plugins and app dependencies: Open the repo directory in the console and type `npm install` or, shorter, `npm i`. * This will install any neded Node modules (cssmin, jade, less...)
Within the download you'll find the following directories and files:
Everything is run with Gulp.
Defined gulp tasks are:
gulpto run all default tasks only once
gulp serverto run all tasks AND start the webserver plus a watch task. This will automatically process changes, in real time, in your source files and make them available in the local web server, and will also automatically reload your browser.
http://localhostin your browser. This simple html files contains some hints if you don't know how to start.
Modifying gulp tasks
- gulpfile.js defines the tasks that are done.
- To easily modify directory names and file matcher at your discretion, they're all defined in constants.
Developing your site
src/dir is where you put your code and assets.
public/dir is fully auto-generated by Gulp. Your HTML files and everything else will be here.
Deploying your site into production
Just copy into your server everything generated in the
public/ dir and you should be fine to go.
Make sure that your Jade templates generate an index.html or that your server is configured to serve any other file you want as default.
It's also possible to configure you server to automatically deploy the
/public folder from a branch of your Git fork, but it's out of the scope of this Readme.
Sites built using this skeleton
Want to list yours? Just send me a message or submit a pull request.