A high level crypto module for node.js and the browser. This library exposes a basic high level api, which combines the following low level operations:
- UTF-8 plaintext encoding
- item-key generation
- initialization-vector generation
- AES-GCM item encryption
- Base64 ciphertext encoding
Getting started - Node.js
Install and Test
npm install crypto-lib cd node_modules/crypto-lib/ npm test
var lib = require('crypto-lib'); var key = lib.util.random(128); var iv = lib.util.random(128); var ciphertext = lib.aes.encrypt('Hello, World!', key, iv); var decrypted = lib.aes.decrypt(ciphertext, key, iv);
Getting started - HTML5:
- To get started, check out the mocha browser tests. There is currently no require.js build for the client yet so you'll have to include the individual scripts by hands.
- Has been tested to work on iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer 10.
- For browsers that don't support window.crypto.getRandomValues(), forge's fortuna algorithm is used to generate pseudo random numbers.
- The crypto operations should be done inside of a Web Worker thread to not block the main UI thread.
- This video also gives some good pointers on how to secure your HTML5 app using Content Security Policy (CSP), sandboxed iframes and CORS in order to protect against XSS and other attacks.
licensed under the MIT license:
Copyright © 2013 Whiteout Networks GmbH.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.