Netlify Preview Database Plugin
Create an isolated preview database for each preview deployment in Netlify
Quickstart • Website • Docs • Discord • Twitter
This plugin gives you a new and isolated database for your preview deployments in Netlify. When a pull-request is created, a new database is created and seeded with a Snaplet snapshot. Giving you a database (with data) to test your branch without side-effects.
1. Install the plugin
UI Installation (UI installation will run on all deploy contexts, but this plugin will only run where the context is set to
File-based installation. Install the
@snaplet/netlify-pluginnpm package, by adding it as a dependency to your project.
2. Configure settings in your project repo
# netlify.toml [[plugins]] package = "@snaplet/netlify-preview-database-plugin"
Note: We check the deploy context associated with the build. You can configure your settings by deploy context.
- name: databaseCreateCommand required: false description: Command used to create the preview database default: "snaplet db create --git --latest" - name: databaseDeleteCommand required: false description: Command used to delete the preview database default: "snaplet db delete --git" - name: databaseUrlCommand required: false description: Command used to get the preview database url default: "snaplet db url --git" - name: databaseUrlEnvKey required: false description: Preview database environment variable key default: "DATABASE_URL" - name: reset required: false description: Reset the preview database state on each commit default: false
3. Set environment variables
- In the Dashboard. Navigate to your site then
Environment Variables. Select
Specific scopesand pick the
Note: To enable deploy contexts for environment variables in the Netlify Dashboard. Navigate to
Scopes and Deploy Contexts for Environment Variablesand click the enable button.
- Using build environments, you can define them in your project.
# netlify.toml [[plugins]] # ... [context.deploy-preview.environment] SNAPLET_ACCESS_TOKEN="<YOUR_SNAPLET_ACCESS_TOKEN>"
Required Environment variables
# Personal Access Token with "repo" scope, found in GitHub user settings GITHUB_ACCESS_TOKEN= # API Access token found in Netlify user settings NETLIFY_ACCESS_TOKEN= # CLI Access token found in Snaplet UI SNAPLET_ACCESS_TOKEN= # Project ID found in Snaplet project settings SNAPLET_PROJECT_ID=
How it works
Netlify + Snaplet Preview Database + Snaplet Snapshots = Love.
Combining preview databases with Snaplet snapshots and Netlify preview deployments gives your team a consistent experience to evaluate your deployment's Environment Variables.
Each commit triggers a build in Netlify. Before the build starts, the plugin will create an preview database using your latest snapshot. Once the create command is done, we will inject the URL returned, into the environment variable, linked to your database (By default this variable is
Once the pre-build step is executed successfully, your build will continue and a site will be deployed with the preview database.