Simple node.js process that sends Zendesk view counts to StatsD periodically
Have you ever wanted a graph of how many tickets you have in your ZenDesk views? Well, you're in luck! zendesk_statsd is a process that will consume your view counts from the Zendesk API periodically and send it to your StatsD server.
You need to have StatsD running somewhere accessible, and have a ZenDesk account. You will also need your Zendesk API key, which you can find in Settings -> Channels -> API
- Put things in settings.json.
- Run with:
node zendesk_statsd.js settings.json
Configuration is either loaded by a
settings.json in the current directory, or by environment variables. Environment variables take precendence over
settings.json. "Ah but how do I set that annoying nested setting using environment variables?", I hear you ask. You can use
: as a separator.
Now for the exciting list of settings:
These have to be set before zendesk_statsd will run
- zendeskHostname - Set it to your Zendesk subdomain, example "yoursubdomain.zendesk.com"
- zendeskToken - Find this in Settings -> Channels -> API on your Zendesk dashboard
- zendeskUsername - You use this to log in to Zendesk. It looks like an email address.
- interval - Number of milliseconds between Zendesk pulls + StatsD pushes. Defaults to 1 minute, which is probably too short. Keep in mind that Zendesk will rate limit you.
- logLevel - How verbose zendesk_statsd will be. Defaults to
debug, but other log levels include:
- statsdPort - Defaults to 8125
- statsdPrefix - Automatically prefixed to all your stats you send over. Defaults to "zendesk"
- statsdServer - Address of your StatsD server. Defaults to "localhost"
Refer to exampleSettings.json for an example config file.
- 0.0.3 - Add ability to pass the location of the config file to the process
- 0.0.2 - Add bin/zendesk_statsd executable for easier deployment
- 0.0.1 - Initial Release
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2013 Kevin McCarthy
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.