THIS IS A VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT VERSION!!!
Don't use in a production environment, it is created and tested for a very specific set of problems!
Also be sure to read the Known Bugs document.
What is it?
An attempt to create a WebSocket API compatible library, that has a thin wrapper around WebSockets with a fat polling fallback for legacy browsers.
It is not meant to solve all problems related to WebSocket/polling, like be the absolutely fastest solution or support ALL possible scenarios.
What it IS meant to solve:
- Speed (e.g. as fast as possible, while still solving the other points)
- Tiny wrapper around WebSocket, working as directly as possible with native WebSocket
- Fallback to JSON poll, when WebSocket is not around
- Scalable backend code through Redis (both horizontally and vertically)
- Emphasis on leaving as much to WebSockets as possible, when available
- Compatibility with IE8+, Safari, Chrome, Firefox
What it is NOT meant to solve:
- Speed (e.g. this is not going to be THE fastest WS/poll library around)
- Being able to work under ANY proxy/router configuration out there
- Working with > legacy browsers (Currently focus is on IE8+, but should be fine, down to IE6)
- Achieving WebSocket speeds when falling back to poll
As always: as soon as the module has shown it's worth and stability on a live system, it will be marked as version >= 1.0.0.
Until then: Feel free to play around with it, learn from it, help with it, etc.