Accelerated prototype development with web technologies
Pro is a runtime for developing prototypes with web technologies. At its core it's a static file server that supports conversions from the most popular web-development languages into plain html, js and css.
Supported file types:
- *.styl files are compiled by Stylus into *.css files.
- *.less files are compiled by LESS into *.css files. Stylus
- *.jade files are compiled by jade into *.html files.
- *.coffee files are compiled by CoffeeScript into *.js files.
- All other files are served as they are.
To give an example, the following folder structure:
is accessible by the browser in a compiled form at these paths:
Prototyper doesn't care what language you prefer, or what folder structure you want. It only cares that you get your prototypes up as quickly as possible.
The easiest way to get started is to install prototyper globally with npm.
npm install -g pro
This gives you access to the executable
You can navigate to any folder and run
pro to start the prototyping
server on port 8080.
From there you can navigate to
http://localhost:8080/ and browse
the contents of the folder where
pro is running.
Whenever the browser requests a file, prototyper checks if the source of the file can be found in another file and if it requires compilation.