This is an instance of the game Nomic driven by Github interactions:
- Players are Github users that have forked this repo
- Rules are stored as Markdown documents
- Votes are handled as (+1/-1) comments and discussion in Pull Requests
What is Nomic
"Nomic is a game in which changing the rules is a move. In that respect it differs from almost every other game. The primary activity of Nomic is proposing changes in the rules, debating the wisdom of changing them in that way, voting on the changes, deciding what can and cannot be done afterwards, and doing it. Even this core of the game, of course, can be changed." -- Peter Suber, The Paradox of Self-Amendment
Gameplay consists of:
- Follow the existing rules. Questions can be asked via Issues.
- A Player proposes a rule-change to an existing (or entirely new) rule via Pull Request.
- Players discuss and vote on proposals, earning points in the process.
Joining the game
Minimum rules worth knowing
Here are the basic set of rules that describe the parameters of the game. All rules are subject to change (even 'immutable' rules), as that is central to the game.
- Players vote on and submit rule-changes to evolve the game
- Disputes are resolved through Call For Judgments by choosing another Player as a nuetral arbitrator.
|101||N||All players must always abide by all the rules|
|116||N||Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted and unregulated|
|105||Y||Every player is an eligible voter|
|207||Y||Each player always has exactly one vote|
|202||Y||One turn consists of: (1) proposing one rule-change and having it voted on, and (2) adding a computed value to your score|
|111||N||If a rule-change as proposed is unclear then the other players may suggest amendments or argue against the proposal before the vote.|
|104||N||All rule-changes proposed in the proper way shall be voted on|
|205||Y||An adopted rule-change takes full effect at the moment of the completion of the vote that adopted it.|
|208||Y||The winner is of the Round first Player to achieve 200 (positive) points.|
|213||Y||If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if by the Judge's best reasoning, not overruled, a move appears equally legal and illegal, then the first player unable to complete a turn is the winner.|
The Wiki and Issues are intended to be 'out of bounds' or meta-game (in so much as such a thing is possible in Nomic) and used for coordination and clarification of the game's process by Players and spectators alike.
These document's formatting was inspired by chef-rfc.
All information on this site is public domain and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified.