Automated Certificate Management Environment (ACME)
This module provides a proof of concept implementation of the ACME protocol for certificate management. Its main functions are:
- Validation of domain possession
- Certificate issuance
- Certificate revocation
The module provides both client and server implementations. For full details of the protocol, see the ACME protocol specification.
> npm install node-acme > node node-acme/demo.js
An ACME client represents a certificate subject, such as a web server. For example, you might use ACME to acquire a certificate when a new web server instance starts up. This module provides both a fine-grained client interface and a simple one-line call to get a certificate.
// The easy wayvar certificateInfo;acme;// The hard wayvar client = acme;var authorizedKeyPair = client;var subjectKeyPair = client;client
An ACME server represents a CA in the management process. Right
now, the server interface is fairly basic. When started with no
parameters it will generate a new CA. The state of the server can
can be retrieved using the
getState method, and used to restart
the server in the same state later.
var server = acme;server;// ... handle some client transactions ...server;
- Enable HTTPS on client and server
- Implement additional domain validation mechansims
- Provide better server interface for managing the CA / server
- Support SANs and requests for certificates for multiple names
- Test that issued certs work in browsers (with the TA installed)