A mongoose plugin that adds role based security information to a schema
A simple plugin that adds an accessibleBy field to a mongoose schema to be able to determine access rights for models belonging to this schema.
This plugin is designed for systems where you do not need to browse over large collections and filter by access rights. If you need that you would have to put in some extra work.
npm install mongoose-plugins-accessible-by
A resource is the object you want to secure (your mongoose schema). It contains an accessibleBy array, which is provided and managed by this plugin
A role (or scope) grants rights that you define. Typical roles are read, write, admin.
An actor is a person, but could also be the public (as any person), or group or whatever you come up with. Actors are referenced through an actorId, and internally have the format
actorId : String displayName : String image: height: Number width: Number url: String objectType : String
which is based on the activitystrea.ms format. You can simply use the actorId string in lieu of a full actor object, but you might want to use the actor object if you provide end user display for the roles and want to cache the display values.
mongoose = require 'mongoose' pluginAccessibleBy = require 'mongoose-plugins-accessible-by' YourSchema = new mongoose.Schema name : type : String YourSchema.plugin pluginAccessibleBy.accessibleBy, defaultIsPublic : true YourModel = mongoose.model "YourModel",YourSchema model = new YourModel name : 'some resource name'
At this point you have initialized a new model that contains an accessibleBy field. By passing the defaultIsPublic option we also ensure that it contains an entry that allows public read access to the model. You can now do the following:
model.canActorAccess(actor || actorId,role) model.canPublicAccess(role) model.canPublicRead() model.grantAccess(actor || actorId, role || roles) model.revokeAccess(actor || actorId, <nothing> || null || role || roles) model.replaceAccess(actor || actorId, <nothing> || null || role || roles) model.grantPublicAccess(role || roles) model.grantPublicReadOnlyAccess() model.revokePublicAccess( <nothing> || null || role || roles) model.replacePublicAccess(<nothing> || null || role || roles)
Please note that you need to save your model after you make changes. The plugin marks the model as modified though.
- Updated travis file.
- Version updates
- Removed unnecessary stuff
Not released yet - upgrade to mongoose 3.x
- First version
- npm run-script watch
- Change version in package.json git tag -a v0.2.2 -m 'version 0.2.2' git push --tags npm publish
- Check out the latest master to make sure the feature hasn't been implemented or the bug hasn't been fixed yet
- Check out the issue tracker to make sure someone already hasn't requested it and/or contributed it
- Fork the project
- Start a feature/bugfix branch
- Commit and push until you are happy with your contribution
- Make sure to add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Please try not to mess with the package.json, version, or history. If you want to have your own version, or is otherwise necessary, that is fine, but please isolate to its own commit so I can cherry-pick around it.
Copyright (c) 2012 Martin Wawrusch See LICENSE for further details.