The jinplace jQuery plugin
This is a plugin for jQuery for in-place editing of data on the page. The intended way to use it is for the editable fields on the web page to be marked up with HTML data-* attributes. The plugin call can be placed in a page template and when it runs it finds all the fields that have been marked as editable.
Alternatively you can specify all options in the plugin call, or a mixture of the two depending on your needs.
- Primarily driven by markup on the page.
- Framework independent.
- Works with IE6-8 and all modern browsers, including mobile.
- Directly supports text, textarea and select fields.
- Other kinds of input editors can be written as plugins see jinplace-extra (or github mirror)
- Text like editing fields can optionally have OK and Cancel buttons with configurable text.
- Data to be edited can be supplied as an attribute of the element, rather than using the existing text within the element.
- Data to be edited can be retrieved from the server just before editing.
- The object to be edited can be identified in a variety of ways.
- Any element can be used to activate the edit field, by default it will be the element itself.
You need to include the jQuery file and the jinplace file. You can use the versions hosted on cdnjs:
Alternatively you can of course host the files as part of your own website:
<!-- Adjust depending on where you have located the files -->
Then mark up the elements that you wish to be editable using the jinplace data-* attributes. At minimum you need only add a suitable class (or id) and the url to submit the data to.
Finally initialise the plugin selecting all the elements you want to be editable. The following example selects all elements that have class 'editable' and applies the plugin to them.
Some similar jQuery plugins for in place editing.
- best_in_place Does in-place editing using markup to indicate the editable areas. It is part of a ruby on rails project and is somewhat tied to it. Can easily modify to work with any framework though. If you are using rails, then it may well suit your needs.