Getting your bot connected to Mattermost
Here is a sample run:
- Follow the "Getting Started With Hubot" guide to get a local installation of Hubot
- When you run the command
yo hubotit should ask for an adapter, input "mattermost" so it can download this adapter automatically for you
- Create an incoming webhook and outgoing webhook integration in your mattermost. You can follow the instructions on Incoming Webhooks and Outgoing Webhooks to setup.
- Set the environment variables MATTERMOST_ENDPOINT, MATTERMOST_INCOME_URL and MATTERMOST_TOKEN based on your mattermost configuration.
- It's important to remember that if you don't run Hubot alongside with Mattermost (locally) you must ensure that Mattermost instance can connect to the machine where Hubot is installed as it will be running on port 8080. This is due to Webhooks nature (both Incoming and Outgoing) where a HTTP POST will be send both ways for communication purposes (sending and receiving Mattermost/Hubot messages).
npm install -g yo generator-hubotyo hubot --adapter mattermost
The adapter requires the following environment variables to be defined prior to run a Hubot instance:
MATTERMOST_ENDPOINTstring, default: none - URI that you want hubot to listen, need to be the uri you specified when creating your outgoing webhook on mattermost. Example: if you create your outgoing webhook with http://127.0.0.1:8080/hubot/incoming you should set it with /hubot/incoming.
MATTERMOST_INCOME_URLstring, default: none - Your incoming webhook url. Example: http://:/hooks/ncwc66caqf8d7c4gnqby1196qo
MATTERMOST_TOKENstring, default: none - Token from your outgoing webhook.
In addition, the following optional variables can be set:
MATTERMOST_CHANNELstring, default: none - Override the channel that you want to reply to.
MATTERMOST_ICON_URLstring, default: none - If Enable Overriding of Icon from Webhooks is enabled you can set a url with the icon that you want for your hubot.
MATTERMOST_HUBOT_USERNAMEstring, default: none - If Enable Overriding of Usernames from Webhooks you can set a custom username to show in mattermost.
MATTERMOST_SELFSIGNED_CERTboolean, default: none - If true it will ignore if MATTERMOST_ENDPOINT has a self signed certificate.
Example for Environment variables
export MATTERMOST_ENDPOINT=/hubot/incoming # listen endpointexport MATTERMOST_CHANNEL=town-square # optional: if you want to override your channelexport MATTERMOST_INCOME_URL=http://<your mattermost instance>:<port>/hooks/ncwc66caqf8d7c4gnqby1196qo # your mattermost income urlexport MATTERMOST_TOKEN=oqwx9d4khjra8cw3zbis1w6fqy # your mattermost tokenexport MATTERMOST_ICON_URL=https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/renanvicente/toy13.png # optional: if you want to override hubot iconexport MATTERMOST_HUBOT_USERNAME="matterbot" # optional: if you want to override hubot nameexport MATTERMOST_SELFSIGNED_CERT=true # optional: if you want to ignore self signed certificate
Example with Hubot sending to multiple specific channels only
Although Mattermost doesn't allow multiple channels on a single Incoming/Outgoing hook you can do the following in order to allow Hubot to listen to multiple channels:
- Create an Outgoing Hook for each channel to wish to have Hubot. That will give you multiple tokens
- Set MATTERMOST_TOKEN global variable with multiple tokens separated by comma
export MATTERMOST_ENDPOINT=/hubot/incoming # listen endpointexport MATTERMOST_INCOME_URL=http://localhost:8065/hooks/3eo1wjwyxibnmd5rsusk4h4pgh # your mattermost income urlexport MATTERMOST_TOKEN="epboqd78ufyi58nxktgzq9zpho,7ftco7zg5fdkixw7j3okmuo3eo" # your mattermost token for **each Channel**export MATTERMOST_ICON_URL=https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/renanvicente/toy13.png # optional: if you want to override hubot iconexport MATTERMOST_HUBOT_USERNAME="matterbot" # optional: if you want to override hubot name
Note that there is no need to create multiple Incoming Hooks as we can use a single Incoming Hook but specify what channel we want to send the message to as described in the documentation.
Run hubot with mattermost adapter.
bin/hubot -a mattermost
Example with Hubot sending to ANY public channel
As pointed out by Andre there's a new Giphy implementation that leverages an Outgoing hook with no channel set, in which Mattermost allows us to send messages to any channel based on Trigger Words feature only.
Therefore, if all you want to do is to have Hubot to send/reply to all public channels, all you will need to do is:
- Create an Outgoing Hook, leave Channel untouched (blank), set the (e.g. matterbot) as Trigger Word and specify the callback URL as you would normally
- Set MATTERMOST_TOKEN global variable with the token given by the newly Outgoing hook created
Example of a hook created using this pattern:
URLs: http://localhost:8080/hubot/incomingTrigger Words: matterbotToken: 15r8ybrxhpgifc3rycdjrf6m8e
Example of global variables set that will send to any public channel if message starts with matterbot:
export MATTERMOST_ENDPOINT=/hubot/incoming # listen endpointexport MATTERMOST_INCOME_URL=http://localhost:8065/hooks/3eo1wjwyxibnmd5rsusk4h4pgh # your mattermost income urlexport MATTERMOST_TOKEN="epboqd78ufyi58nxktgzq9zpho,7ftco7zg5fdkixw7j3okmuo3eo" # your mattermost tokenexport MATTERMOST_ICON_URL=https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/renanvicente/toy13.png # optional: if you want to override hubot iconexport MATTERMOST_HUBOT_USERNAME="matterbot" # optional: if you want to override hubot name
With this approach Hubot.hear method will be invalidated, since a POST message will only be sent from Mattermost if Hubot name (MATTERMOST_HUBOT_USERNAME="matterbot") is mentioned.
So, if you have the following in any of your custom scripts -- that will no longer work:
robothear /HEY$/imsgreply "Yo!"
In order to have both working (send messages to any public channel + hubot actively listening to certain messages) you would need to:
- A) Have an Outgoing Hook with no channel set with each 'Hear' (e.g 'hey') regex separated by comma
- B) Have an Outgoing Hook to each Channel you want 'Hear' method to work
- Once you define which option you prefer you must update MATTERMOST_TOKEN with the additional token you got (_MATTERMOST_TOKEN=","), otherwise Hubot will simply ignore the incoming event
Example of Outgoing Hook created using option A:
URLs: http://localhost:8080/hubot/incomingTrigger Words: heyToken: 9r8i6s86hbgc8r57hqc5ywijac
By simply typing: "hey" in any channel Hubot should be able to respond with "Yo!" as Mattermost now sends a POST to Hubot.
The MIT License. See