Elm Docs Preview
Preview the docs for your awesome Elm libs locally. Sounds good? Just do this!
npm i -g elm-docs-preview
Then run it with a path to the directory of your package (which contains
# for the current directoryelm-docs-preview# or for any directoryelm-docs-preview path/to/elm-package
This will spin up a server at
http://localhost:8080, which will serve an HTML and show the compiled docs.
- Node version 8 or higher.
elm-docs-preview this will:
elm makein the directory you specified to generate the
- then it will generate an HTML page, which displays the JSON data in the format you as a package author are used to from package.elm-lang.org
- spin up a server to display that page
Room for improvement
- As live reloading is not implementing yet you'll have to run this again everytime you make changes and wanna preview them(should watch the exposed modules of a package)
- Code for the UI was shamelessly taken and adapted from package.elm-lang.org. The code likely still contains a bunch of unnecessary stuff from the original version, but this was the quickest way to make this previewer.
- Assets are still fetched from package.elm-lang.org (should maybe be copied into this package so it doesn't break if the package site is down)
- Currently the server for previewing is
webpack-dev-server. It makes generating everything very easy and I picked it mostly for comfort, but I'm not sure if there aren't better choices out there.
- In some cases the links don't work yet. For simplicity everything uses hash routing but in some cases that may not be enough(i.e. when viewing module A and clicking a link to some function in Module B)