Yes, staring at your console while github's down is definitely time well spent. Oh, and it works with other site too!
$ npm i -g down
Don't hesistate to fork/issues/bugreport/pull request.
$ down ghUP [github] Everything operating normally.UP [github] Everything operating normally....
$ down hvUP [harvest] last response time: 609UP [harvest] last response time: 609...
- circleci (http://status.circleci.com/history.atom)
- facebook (https://www.facebook.com/feeds/api_status.php)
- github (https://status.github.com/api/last-message.json)
- harvest (http://harveststatus.com/status.json)
- More services
- Tests for when service is actually down.