Cobalt Service Definition Language and Tool
What are we aiming to achieve using CSDL? The design goal is to abstract all the details of the service and provide an abstraction from the underlying complexities of orchestrator and pipeline definitions.
Is this a code generator?
Strictly speaking, this indeed generates code for pipelines and deployments, but the generated files are never to be committed back to info source except while usig the
Will this be useful in local vagrant?
Yes, this tool aims to replace the local scripts and instead use the same service definition to run the local builds.
How can pipelines start without a committed Jenkinsfile?
The committed Jenkinsfile will be only having this code
That closure will take over the pipeline using generated pipelines in the CI/CD system.
And how can we have partial Vagrantfiles?
Vagrantfile till be generated on the fly. The tool will take care of the details.
cobalt init at any location and the following will be created
Jenkinsfilewith the content
- Generates/updates gitignore files
- Asks user a series of questions to generate
- Should include CS-ID collection or allow the user to create a new CS
This expects the service build to be performed both in local and CI/CD environments
- Generates an actual pipeline based on the
customstep support to be modelled as committed
- Generate local scripts for local builds (not to be committed)
- We can skip the two implementations and decide on the tool to do the build the same way in both environments. Current capabilies that translates to different mechanisms should be addressed. For example, custom build params, periodic trigger etc.
This mode takes care of deployment using the generated bundle in both local and CI/CD environments.
- Detect the target
- Performs the deployment
This mode is to manage the
vagrant environments in local laptops
upto install and bring up vagrant
Vagrantfile, but not for committing to source
<any vagrant command>
- Are we developing an elephant?
- Will the advantages outweigh the development efforts, or vice versa?
- Is the history repeating itself?
- Given a service definition, generate build and deployment pipelines for CI/CD in current form (Jenkinsfile) (Related to - #2)
- Bring up local environment (Related to - #4)
- Build and deploy in local environment using the same
build.xml- (Related to #4 and #2)
- Build and deploy in CI/CD environment using the same
build.xml- (Related to #2) (This obsoletes the first story)
- Enable the creation of a new service definition. (Related to #1)
- Enable the creation of a new cobalt service repo structure. (Related to #1)