Contentful import tool
Contentful provides a content infrastructure for digital teams to power content in websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enable developers and content creators to ship digital products faster.
This library helps you to import files generated by contentful-export to a destination space.
❗️ Usage as CLI
We moved the CLI version of this tool into our Contentful CLI. This allows our users to use and install only one single CLI tool to get the full Contentful experience.
Please have a look at the Contentful CLI import command documentation to learn more about how to use this as command line tool.
npm install contentful-import
const contentfulImport =const options =content: entries:... contentTypes:... locales:...spaceId: '<space_id>'managementToken: '<content_management_api_key>'...
const contentfulImport =const options =contentFile: '/path/to/result/of/contentful-export.json'spaceId: '<space_id>'managementToken: '<content_management_api_key>'...
Import an environment
const contentfulImport =const options =contentFile: '/path/to/result/of/contentful-export.json'spaceId: '<space_id>'managementToken: '<content_management_api_key>'environmentId: '<environment_id>'......
⚙️ Configuration options
spaceId [string] [required]
ID of the space to import into
environmentId [string] [default: 'master']
ID of the environment in the destination space
managementToken [string] [required]
Contentful management API token for the space to be imported to
Path to JSON file that contains data to be import to your space
Content to import. Needs to match the expected structure (See below)
contentModelOnly [boolean] [default: false]
Import content types only
skipContentModel [boolean] [default: false]
Skip importing of content types and locales
skipLocales [boolean] [default: false]
Skip importing of locales
skipContentPublishing [boolean] [default: false]
Skips content publishing. Creates content but does not publish it
host [string] [default: 'api.contentful.com']
The Management API host
Proxy configuration in HTTP auth format:
Pass proxy config to Axios instead of creating a custom httpsAgent
Full path to the error log file
useVerboseRenderer [boolean] [default: false]
Display progress in new lines instead of displaying a busy spinner and the status in the same line. Useful for CI.
- Unable to connect to Contentful through your Proxy? Try to set the
🗃 Expected input data structure
The data to import should be structured like this:
💡 Importing to a space with existing content
- Both source space and destination space must share the same content model structure. In order to achieve that, please use the migration-cli.
- Content transformations are also not supported, please use the migration-cli.
- Entities existence are determined based on their ID:
- If an entity does not exist in the destination space, it will be created.
- If an entity already exists in the destination space, it will be updated.
- Publishing strategy:
- If an entity is in draft, it will be created as draft in the destination space.
- If an entity is published and has pending changes (updated) in the source space, it will be published with the latest changes in the destination space.
- This tool currently does not support the import of space memberships.
- This tool currently does not support the import of roles.
- This tool is expecting the target space to have the same default locale as your previously exported space.
- Imported webhooks with credentials will be imported as normal webhooks. Credentials should be added manually afterwards.
- Imported webhooks with secret headers will be imported without these headers. Secret headers should be added manuall afterwards.
- If you have custom UI extensions, you need to reinstall them manually in the new space.
Read the releases page for more information.
This project is licensed under MIT license