Simplified media playback for bigscreen devices.
Bigscreen Player is an open source project developed by the BBC to simplify video and audio playback on a wide range of 'bigscreen' devices (TVs, set-top boxes, games consoles, and streaming devices).
For documentation on using this library, please see our Getting Started guide.
$ npm install
You can run Bigscreen Player locally in a dev environment by running:
$ npm run start
This will open a web page at
The project is unit tested using Jest. To run the tests:
$ npm test
This project currently has unit test coverage but no integration test suite. This is on our Roadmap to address.
- Create a PR.
- Label the PR with one of these labels;
- Get a review from the core team.
- If the PR checks are green. The core team can merge to master.
- Automation takes care of the package versioning.
- Publishing to NPM is handled with our GitHub Actions CI integration.
Bigscreen Player uses JSDocs to autogenerate API documentation. To regenerate the documentation run:
$ npm run docs
Bigscreen Player is available to everyone under the terms of the Apache 2.0 open source license. Take a look at the LICENSE file in the code for more information.