Backbeam-server is a compatible implementation of Backbeam.io, a cloud backend-as-a-service. This project is maintained by the creators of Backbeam and this project will pass similar tests to keep its compatibility.
If you are upgrading from 0.5.x to 0.6.x, please see the CHANGELOG
Why an Open Source version?
We want our customers to be happy and one of the things that most worry our customers is the vendor-lockin problem. Providing an Open Source implementation solves this problem.
Another important reason is flexibility. Having the opportunity to host your own backbeam-compatible stack you can do many things such as:
- You can install
backbeam-serverin your Continuous Integration server for testing purpouses
- If you are developing a new SDK for Backbeam.io you can test it locally with
- Soon you will be able to dump your data from Backbeam.io to your machines and import the data to a local instance to inspect the data carefully for: machine learning, data mining, reporting, pattern-finding, etc.
How does it differ from backbeam.io?
backbeam-serveryou will have to implement your infrastructure to support scalability, backups, server configuration, security protection, etc.
- backbeam.io supports code versioning itself. With
backbeam-serveryou just need to use your favorite version control tool.
- Fist step: install
npm install backbeam-server -g
- Create a directory where you want to start a project.
- Navigate to that directory with the command line.
backbeam create. This will generate the basic structure
- Check the database configuration in the generated
- Check that
http://localhost:3000in your browser and you will see an example web controller running.
http://localhost:3000/adminin your browser and you will see the admin panel.
- Change controllers, assets, etc. You don't need to restart backbeam, just refresh your browser.
- If you change the data model in
config.jsonyou need to run:
backbeam migratewith the server running or you can go to the admin panel to refresh the configuration (
Configuration → Schmea changesand then
Reload configuration). That will show you the required SQL commands to update your database schema. You can run them by clicking on
Run SQL commands.
What does it support?
Both backbeam.io and
backbeam-server provide the following features
- Users authentication (email+password, Twitter, Facebook or Google+)
- Push notifications for iOS and Android
- Full-featured MVC web framework
- A real-time API
- Almost full
bqlsupport on top of
- Implementation of admin panel
- Implementation of all features (users authentication, push notifications,...)
- Finish implementation of
bqlon top of
- Plugin system