Passmarked is a suite of tests that can be run against any page/website to identify issues with parity to most online tools in one package.
The Terminal Client is intended for use by developers to integrate into their workflow/CI servers but also integrate into their own application that might need to test websites and provide realtime feedback.
All of the checks on Passmarked can be voted on importance and are open-sourced, to encourage community involvement in fixing and adding new rules. We are building the living Web Standard and love any contributions.
The rules checked in this module are:
- alpn - ALNP negotiation could not be performed, meaning the protocol is disabled.
- bad - Any of the links in the HAR returned a status code other than REDIRECT/INFO/OK
- cache.scope - The cache-control header specified that the resource is cacheable by both private and public. Which may cause unindentended behaviour.
- cache.unknown - Unknown options configured apart from known types - developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Cache-Control. This will only be triggered on "local" resources, as that is what the user can fix. And browsers will tend to ignore the other options on third parties. This is more the rule being precise.
- cache.internal - Caching on the internal resource is not configured
- cache.external - Caching on the external (third party domain) resource is not configured
- expire.date - The
expireheader contained a invalid date
- expire.internal - The caching duration on a local resource is configured for less than 2 days at a minimum
- expire.external - The caching duration on a external resource is configured for less than 6 hours at a minimum
- charset - Charset could have been set earlier in the headers of the response.
- consistent - Any of the same assets are returned from different urls that does not allow caching.
- favicon.size - Favicon is bigger than 10KB.
- favicon.exists - Favicon does not exists.
- favicon.redirect- Favicon request was redirected instead of just serving.
- compress.images - GZIP was detected on any images on the page.
- whitespace - The HTML returned from server was not minified and contained whitespace that could have saved some space.
- gzip.internal - Returned if any CSS or JS assets on the same domain are not gzipped.
- gzip.external - Returned if any CSS or JS assets on a third-party domain are not gzipped.
- h2 - HTTP2 is not supported on server.
- h2.blank - Blank response from HTTP2 server
- h2.push - HTTP2 Server Push could be used on blocking resources for the page.
- minify - Resources returned were not minified.
- minify.empty - Resource was empty after content was minified, meaning the request could probably just be removed.
- pagespeed.slow - Initial response took more than 3 seconds seconds to render.
- pagespeed.warn - Initial response took more than 1 second to render.
- redirect.count - No more than 2 initial redirects should occur.
- vary - Vary header was not configured on the responses of resources.
npm install -g passmarkedpassmarked --filter=network example.com
The hosted version allows free runs from our homepage and the option to register a site to check in its entirety. Using the Passmarked npm module (or directly via the API) integrations are also possible to get running reports with all the rules in a matter of seconds.
All rules can be run locally using our main integration library. This requires installing the package and any dependencies that the code might have such as a specific version of OpenSSL, see #dependencies
passmarked is installed:
npm install passmarkednpm install @passmarked/network
After which the rules will be runnable using promises:
Alternatively, callbacks are also available:
The module expects a updated version of OpenSSL, at the time of writing
openssl-1.0.2h. The module expects the newest compiled excutable to present at
# install our essentials to build opensslapt-get install -y build-essential# upgrade to a much newer and specific version of sslwget -O /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h.tar.gz https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2h.tar.gzcd /tmp/ && tar -xf /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h.tar.gzrm /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h.tar.gzcd /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h && ./configcd /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h && make dependcd /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h && makecd /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h && make installrm -R /tmp/openssl-1.0.2h
The module also expects to see
coreutils present in some form, this defaults to
gtimeout on MacOS which can be installed using:
brew install coreutils
Rules also include a
typewhich could be
noticegiving a better view on the importance of the rule.
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:passmarked/network.gitnpm installnpm test
Pull requests have a prerequisite of passing tests. If your contribution is accepted, it will be merged into
develop (and then
master after staging tests by the team) which will then be deployed live to passmarked.com and on NPM for everyone to download and test.
To learn more visit:
- Terminal Client
- NPM Package
- Slack - We have a Slack team with all our team and open to anyone using the site to chat and figure out problems. To join head over to passmarked.com/chat and request a invite.
Copyright 2016 Passmarked Inc
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.