Official Demo | Read: Official Docs PageSee:
UnderStrap WordPress Theme Framework
Child Theme Project: https://github.com/understrap/understrap-child
I’m a huge fan of Underscores, Bootstrap, and Sass. Why not combine these into a solid WordPress Theme Framework? That’s what UnderStrap is. You can use it as a starter theme and build your own theme on top of it. Or you can use it as a parent theme and create your own child theme for UnderStrap.
UnderStrap WordPress Theme, Copyright 2013-2018 Holger Koenemann UnderStrap is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL version 2
- Combines Underscore’s PHP/JS files and Bootstrap’s HTML/CSS/JS.
- Comes with Bootstrap (v4) Sass source files and additional .scss files. Nicely sorted and ready to add your own variables and customize the Bootstrap variables.
- Uses a single minified CSS file for all the basic stuff.
- Font Awesome integration (v4.7.0)
- Jetpack ready.
- WooCommerce support.
- Contact Form 7 support.
- Child Theme ready.
- Translation ready.
Starter Theme + HTML Framework = WordPress Theme Framework
The _s theme is a good starting point to develop a WordPress theme. But it is “just” a raw starter theme. That means it outputs all the WordPress stuff correctly but without any layout or design. Why not add a well known and supported layout framework to have a solid, clean and responsive foundation? That’s where Bootstrap comes in.
Confused by All the CSS and Sass Files?
Some basics about the Sass and CSS files that come with UnderStrap:
- The theme itself uses the
/style.cssfile only to identify the theme inside of WordPress. The file is not loaded by the theme and does not include any styles.
/css/theme.cssand its minified little brother
/css/theme.min.cssfile(s) provides all styles. It is composed of five different SCSS sets and one variable file at
@import "../src/bootstrap-sass/assets/stylesheets/bootstrap"; // 2. All the Bootstrap stuff - Don´t edit this!@import "understrap/understrap"; // 3. Some basic WordPress stylings and needed styles to combine Boostrap and Underscores@import "../src/fontawesome/scss/font-awesome"; // 4. Font Awesome Icon styles// Any additional imported files //@import "theme/theme"; // 5. Add your styles into this file
- Don’t edit the number 2-4 files/filesets listed above or you won’t be able to update Understrap without overwriting your own work!
- Your design goes into:
- Add your styles to the
- And your variables to the
- Or add other .scss files into it and
- Add your styles to the
There are several ways to install UnderStrap. We'll look at three of them: (1) classic install by uploading UnderStrap to a WordPress install, (2) using npm, and (3) using the theme directory in WordPress.
- Download the understrap folder from GitHub or from https://understrap.com
- IMPORTANT: If you download it from GitHub make sure you rename the "understrap-master.zip" file just to "understrap.zip" or you might have problems using child themes!
- Upload it into your WordPress installation theme subfolder:
- Login to your WordPress backend
- Go to Appearance → Themes
- Activate the UnderStrap theme
- Open your terminal
- Change to the directory where you want to add UnderStrap
npm install understrap
- Open your WordPress backend
- Click on "Appearance -> Themes"
- Hit the "Add new" button
- Search for "UnderStrap"
- Hit the "install" button
- Activate the theme
Developing With npm, Gulp and SASS and [Browser Sync]
- Make sure you have installed Node.js and Browser-Sync (optional) on your computer globally
- Then open your terminal and browse to the location of your UnderStrap copy
$ npm install
To work with and compile your Sass files on the fly start:
$ gulp watch
Or, to run with Browser-Sync:
- First change the browser-sync options to reflect your environment in the file
/gulpconfig.jsonin the beginning of the file:
"browserSyncOptions" :"proxy": "localhost/theme_test/" // <----- CHANGE HERE"notify": false...;
- then run:
$ gulp watch-bs
How to Use the Built-In Widget Slider
The front-page slider is widget driven. Simply add more than one widget to widget position “Hero”.
- Click on Appearance → Widgets.
- Add two, or more, widgets of any kind to widget area “Hero”.
- That’s it.
Add a new file to the themes root folder called rtl.css. Add all alignments to this file according to this description: https://codex.wordpress.org/Right_to_Left_Language_Support
UnderStrap includes several different page template files: (1) blank template, (2) empty template, and (3) full width template.
blank.php template is useful when working with various page builders and can be used as a starting blank canvas.
empty.php template displays a header and a footer only. A good starting point for landing pages.
Full Width Template
fullwidthpage.php template has full width layout without a sidebar.
 Visit http://browsersync.io for more information on Browser Sync
Licenses & Credits
- Font Awesome: http://fontawesome.io/license (Font: SIL OFL 1.1, CSS: MIT License)
- Bootstrap: http://getbootstrap.com | https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/blob/master/LICENSE (Code licensed under MIT documentation under CC BY 3.0.) and of course
- jQuery: https://jquery.org | (Code licensed under MIT)
- WP Bootstrap Navwalker by Edward McIntyre: https://github.com/twittem/wp-bootstrap-navwalker | GNU GPL
- Bootstrap Gallery Script based on Roots Sage Gallery: https://github.com/roots/sage/blob/5b9786b8ceecfe717db55666efe5bcf0c9e1801c/lib/gallery.php