npm install fido2-lib
A library for performing FIDO 2.0 / WebAuthn server functionality
This library contains all the functionality necessary for implementing a full FIDO2 / WebAuthn server. It intentionally does not implement any kind of networking protocol (e.g. - REST endpoints) so that it can remain independent of any messaging protocols.
There are four primary functions:
- attestationOptions - creates the challenge that will be sent to the client (e.g. - browser) for the credential create call. Note that the library does not keep track of sessions or context, so the caller is expected to associate the resulting challenge with a session so that it can be appropriately matched with a response.
- attestationResult - parses and validates the response from the client
- assertionOptions - creates the challenge that will be sent to the client for credential assertion.
- assertionResult - parses and validates the response from the client
There is also an extension point for adding new attestation formats.
Full documentation can be found here.
- Works with Windows Hello
- Attestation formats: packed, tpm, android-safetynet, fido-u2f, none
- Convenient API for adding more attestation formats
- Convenient API for adding extensions
- Metadata service (MDS) support enables authenticator root of trust and authenticator metadata
- Support for multiple simultaneous metadata services (e.g. FIDO MDS 1 & 2)
- Crypto families: ECDSA, RSA
- x509 cert parsing, support for FIDO-related extensions, and NIST Public Key Interoperability Test Suite (PKITS) chain validation (from pki.js)
- Returns parsed and validated data, along with extra audit data for risk engines
Instantiate Library (Simple):
const Fido2Lib = ;// create a new instance of the libraryvar f2l = ;
Instantiate Library (Complex):
// could also use one or more of the options below,// which just makes the options calls easier later on:var f2l =timeout: 42rpId: "example.com"rpName: "ACME"rpIcon: ""challengeSize: 128attestation: "none"cryptoParams: -7 -257authenticatorAttachment: "platform"authenticatorRequireResidentKey: falseauthenticatorUserVerification: "required";
var registrationOptions = await f2l;// make sure to add registrationOptions.user.id// save the challenge in the session information...// send registrationOptions to client and pass them in to `navigator.credentials.create()`...// get response back from client (clientAttestationResponse)var attestationExpectations =challenge: "33EHav-jZ1v9qwH783aU-j0ARx6r5o-YHh-wd7C6jPbd7Wh6ytbIZosIIACehwf9-s6hXhySHO-HHUjEwZS29w"origin: ""factor: "either";var regResult = await f2l; // will throw on error// registration complete!// save publicKey and counter from regResult to user's info for future authentication calls
var authnOptions = await f2l;// save the challenge in the session information...// send authnOptions to client and pass them in to `navigator.credentials.get()`...// get response back from client (clientAssertionResponse)var assertionExpectations =challenge: "eaTyUNnyPDDdK8SNEgTEUvz1Q8dylkjjTimYd5X7QAo-F8_Z1lsJi3BilUpFZHkICNDWY8r9ivnTgW7-XZC3qQ"origin: ""factor: "either"publicKey: "-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----\n" +"MFkwEwYHKoZIzj0CAQYIKoZIzj0DAQcDQgAERez9aO2wBAWO54MuGbEqSdWahSnG\n" +"MAg35BCNkaE3j8Q+O/ZhhKqTeIKm7El70EG6ejt4sg1ZaoQ5ELg8k3ywTg==\n" +"-----END PUBLIC KEY-----\n"prevCounter: 362;var authnResult = await f2l; // will throw on error// authentication complete!
For a real-life example, refer to component-fido2.
Note that while I used to be Technical Director for FIDO Alliance (and I am currently the Technical Advisor for FIDO Alliance), THIS PROJECT IS NOT ENDORSED OR SPONSORED BY FIDO ALLIANCE.
Work for this project is supported by my consulting company: WebAuthn Consulting.