This plugin is part of a suite of plugins that comprise the Backstage search platform. This particular plugin is responsible for all aspects of the search indexing process, including:
- Providing connections to search engines where actual document indices live and queries can be made.
- Defining a mechanism for plugins to expose documents that they'd like to be
- Defining a mechanism for plugins to add extra metadata to documents that the
source plugin may not be aware of (known as
- A scheduler that, at configurable intervals, compiles documents to be indexed and passes them to a search engine for indexing.
- A builder class to wire up all of the above.
- Naturally, types for all of the above.
Documentation on how to develop and improve the search platform is currently
centralized in the
search plugin README.md.
For a better overview of how the search platform is put together, check the Backstage Search Architecture documentation.